Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

To tide you over...

Greetings!

I've been quiet for a while, so I thought I ought to post something to let you know that I'm still alive and kicking, by the grace of God. Although I've had some topics swirling around my head, I'm not quite ready to write anything about them, so I'll just share a few mini-items:

  1. I've been more of a nerd than usual lately. For one thing, I've just passed the tests for becoming a Certified Linux Professional. Woo-hoo! :-) For another, I've been using my spare time to work on a program to help solve acrostic puzzles. The need supplied by the program is very simple, but that hasn't stopped me from adding all sorts of cool features. Once I get further along with it, I may post some screenshots. Warning: this is a Linux/UNIX program and won't run on Windows unless you install a UNIX emulator such as Cygwin.
  2. On the other hand, maybe I'm not that much of a nerd. Case in point: I've taken some of my income tax refund and invested in one of the most mundane gadgets imaginable: a refrigerator. Were a true geek, I would have invested in a new PC, but nnnooooo... :-)
  3. My DVD viewing remains eclectic, albeit throughly rooted in the past. A few weeks ago, I picked up the first season of one of my childhood TV favorites, The Partridge Family. When I'm able to overlook the horribly bad lip-synching and miming that's done during the musical numbers, I see that I had pretty good taste as a kid: it was, after all, a fairly decent comedy, squeaky clean compared to what I see during my rare channel-surfing excursions. In one episode, the family attends church on Sunday(!), where they hear a folk singer leading the congregation in a fairly lightweight spiritual that actually names the name of Jesus. In today's God-free media world, this kind of thing wouldn't be done, but way back in 1970 it was still no big deal. How far we've come since then. Sigh.
  4. I've been discovering lately that I have some unexpected talents. A couple of weeks ago, a friend at church gave me a complement on my singing voice and said that I'd helped him to stay on key. Given that he's a musician, that was quite a complement. I've been practicing in the shower ever since. :-) More recently, I took some of my family members on a day trip to downtown Chicago. They couldn't stop talking about how well I did driving in such stressful conditions. To put this in context, I live in a town of 21,000, work in another town of 35,000, and shop and worship in a city of 150,000, and generally enjoy far less stressful driving conditions than I endure in a city like Chicago.

So, what's in store for the days to come? Well, I've been thinking about subjects such as Christian liberty and the demise of the age-old pursuit of artistic and cultural beauty at the expense of the celebration of what is ugly and profane.

Thanks for visiting, and stay tuned!




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?